Training and Supports

Thuongmai University during 1960-1965 period

Tuesday - 25/05/2021 03:39
Thuongmai University evolved from Central School of Trade (1960-1979), then University of Commerce (1979-1994). It was renamed Thuongmai University in 1994 in the Decision no. 203/TTg on May 2, 1994 by the Prime Minister.
School’s staff and students on working site in Lap Thach, Song Lo - Vinh Phu, where they took sand and stones to build the school
School’s staff and students on working site in Lap Thach, Song Lo - Vinh Phu, where they took sand and stones to build the school
Thuongmai University in the 1960-1965 period

In 1960, Central School of Trade – Thuongmai University’s precursor – was established under the Ministry of Domestic Trade. The School’s mission was to provide trade techniques training and retraining to cadres in the industry. Mr. Bui Dat – standing member of Communist Party Committee of the Ministry of Domestic Trade was appointed the Rector.

The School was located in Mai Dich commune, District 6 (now Cau Giay District), Hanoi city, with an area of 47.300m2. At that time, the School was the most spacious in the North of Vietnam.
 
On October 1st 1960, the first course was opened. Since then, the date has become the university’s birthday.
6 1 cap
Opening ceremony of the first courses in the school year 1960-1961
 
In September 1961, under a decision of Ministry of Domestic Trade, it was merged with the Trade Techniques School. Mr. Bui Dat was the Rector and Mr. Le Kinh Phi was the Deputy Rector.

In April 1963, Mr. Bui Bao Van, standing member of Communist Party Committee of the Ministry of Domestic Trade was appointed the Rector, Mr. Le Kinh Phi and Mr. Le Anh Kim were the Deputy Rectors.

 
6 2 cap
School’s staff and students on working site in Lap Thach, Song Lo - Vinh Phu, where they took sand and stones to build the school
To directly govern the School’s activities, A Communist Party Committee of the School was established and Mr. Truong Nhị was appointed the secretary (in May 1959). On May 12th 1960, the first meeting was held and during 1963-1965, two more meetings were organized. The meetings issued some resolutions on promoting the role of Communist Party members, overcoming difficulties during early days, completing the goals and teaching programmes as well as syllabi, preparing necessary conditions to facilitate further training, making the School’s Communist Party Committee strong.

The School had the following departments: Personnel Department, Educational Affairs Office (including library and interpreting division), Administrative Office (including a clinic), Marxism and Leninism Committee, Culture Committee, Economics and Trade Committee, Physical Education, Laboratory. The School’s staff mostly graduated from universities inland and overseas, some were veterans, some were cadres from the South (1954 event).

During 1960-1965, the School provided professional training to over 1000 cadres from 22 Northern provinces, secondary education to 350 cadres in the industry. The School also had 4 intakes with a total of 1439 students.

 
6 3 cap
Minister of Higher Education and Vocational Training – Ta Quang Buu - visited the School in 1965
The School’s scientific research was mainly compiling programmes and lectures in preparation for professional training. Also, it coordinated closely with the Ministry of Domestic Affairs’ Divisions in constructing policies of managing domestic markets, retail/wholesale network planning, accounting, regulations of the industry’s management, regulations of retail. This was a valuable opportunity for the School’s staff to put theories into practice and make their lectures more practical, thus making their contribution to the industry.

The School’s administrators cooperated with Trade Union and Youth Union to organize some competitions such as “Teach well, study well”, “One works for two”, “For the beloved South”; some cultural and sport activities; to raise pigs and grow vegetables, cassava in Ky Son commune, Hoa Binh province; to build a “5-good-thing-restaurant”. The standards of living of the School’s staff and students were constantly improved.

During 1960-1965, despite a host of difficulties of early days, the School successfully accomplished all and every task assigned, including providing training and education to thousands of cadres in the industry and creating a firm foundation for later missions of providing higher education.

It was a great honour for the School’s staff and students to welcome President Ho Chi Minh in 1961 and 1962 when he attended the second meeting of National Heroes held at the school.

 
6 5 cap
President Ho Chi Minh’s visit in 1961
 
6 4 cap
President Ho Chi Minh’s visit in 1961
, . : 60